Linn County Public Health reminds residents about generator safety

Linn County (KWWL) — The Linn County Public Health Department has reminders for any residents using portable generators to help power refrigerators and lights.

Officials said generators should be placed at least 20 feet from your home.

They should also never be used indoors including in homes, garages, basements, crawl spaces and other enclosed or partially-enclosed spaces.

Generators can produce high-levels of carbon monoxide (CO).

Health experts said even if you can’t smell exhaust fumes, you may still be exposed to CO; opening doors and windows or using fans won’t help prevent a carbon monoxide build-up in the home.

If someone starts to feel sick, dizzy or weak while using a generator, he/she should get fresh air right away and call 911.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *